In the world of high-end electric guitars, PRS guitars have stood out for decades now. Favored by players like Carlos Santana and Dave Navarro, these instruments are known for their impeccable craftsmanship, warm tone, endless sustain and unique body design. Company founder Paul Reed Smith broke into the guitar market in the mid-1980s making solid body electrics, but has since expanded his company to include the production of hollow bodies, basses, acoustics and even amplifiers. As the company grows, their attention to detail has never wavered, and PRS continues to be a name that is synonymous with high quality in guitar circles.
The PRS Guitar Line
Below you will find information on some of the most popular and inventive instruments that PRS produces.
Solid Body Electrics
These are the guitars that people typically think of when they think of PRS. They are the company's bread and butter, and they are the instruments that put them on the map.
- Custom 24 - This is the classic PRS guitar that made the company famous. This two humbucker beauty features a curved body style and a beautiful finish that makes this instrument as nice to look at as it is to play.
- 513 - The 513's name means that it has five pickups and can produce thirteen different sounds. This guitar maintains the classic PRS body design, but it's enhanced with modern features to make it even more versatile.
- DC3 - The DC3 is a strat-like guitar that features three proprietary single coil pickups and a five-way pickup selector allows for plenty of tone options. This is a modern guitar with a vintage guitar feel.
Hollow Body Electrics
Over the years, some of the hollow body PRS guitars have become as sought after as the more famous solid body models.
- Hollowbody II - This beautiful, semi-hollow body guitar evokes the spirit of the Gibson 335 with its two f-holes. A maple top and back with mahogany sides creates a fantastic tone, and the internal pickup system allows you to plug this guitar into an amp and a PA or recording console at the same time.
- JA-15 - This beauty is designed especially for jazz players. With a spruce top and maple back, this guitar's tone is second to none.
Most people don't know about PRS acoustics, but they are getting rave reviews from players worldwide.
- Angelus - The Angelus is a cutaway acoustic guitar designed with fingerpickers in mind, but would work well in any musical style. This instrument has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides.
- Tonare Grand - A flatpicker's dream, the Tonare Grand is a beautiful guitar with an inviting shape and incredible tone.
These instruments are the private stock of the PRS line. They are often designed in conjunction with an established player and feature the highest quality components and design features. If you really want something special, give these a close look.
- Dweezil Zappa Limited - This model is limited to a run of fifty guitars and is the product of a collaboration between Dweezil and the PRS team. The body shape took its inspiration from a marriage between a Custom 24 and a mandolin, and the result is as eclectic as anything you'd expect that comes with the Zappa name. This is a truly unique instrument.
- Gary Grainger Bass - This beautifully unique instrument is designed for the most discerning bass guitar players. Available in four or five-string models, this bass has a swamp ash body and two specially designed pickups. Not for the faint of heart!
For Serious Guitarists
As you look through these instruments, you'll notice that PRS guitars are not designed as entry level instruments. They feature uncompromising craftsmanship that comes with a price. If you're serious about your playing and your sound, PRS is a brand you can trust to provide you with a quality instrument that you will have forever.